Understanding Transmission Delays

I've been reading up on lag and latency to try to understand transmission delays, particularly on Chaturbate.
The degree of delay I often encounter is variable, but let's take an example of a 20 second delay, counted from when I send a tip, to when I hear the tip noise from the model's room.
I take it that the model sees the yellow tip message on her chat screen (and if using a toy, that is activated too) in roughly half that time - i.e. at ~10 seconds after I click send.
I'm assuming that, because the AV feed from the model's end has to travel back to me via the same way it reached her, so ~10 secs to reach her and another ~10 secs back to me.

So in this 20 second example, that means the audio and video feed on my screen actually happened approximately 10 seconds before I see it?

Lag is a function of not only latency, but by how much buffering is being done based on the quality of your connection. If you're having these issues on a regular basis, I would suggest you run a line quality check to see how many "hops"(the path) your connection is taking to the destination server. This will give you an indication of whether or not your connection is suffering from packet loss and/or extreme latency issues. The amount of buffering that is needed can affect this "delay" you are seeing/hearing, as the main video and audio feed occurs on a separate connection than the chat and tipping mechanisms. The camsite servers then struggle to sync it all together and you get these delays you are seeing/hearing.