Onlyfans VAT hit: Alternatives? solutions?

linda

In November last year I joined Onlyfans with low expectations and the platform has done nothing but grow since then. This is great for business as the more creators join a certain platform bringing their fans with them, the easier it becomes to grow your subscribers as there is often an overlap and people like to consolidate their media in a single network. I am happy so many influential people from both the adult world and "vanilla" world are joining OF making our jobs more socially acceptable and bringing fresh eyes to the scene.

However it seems like the company can hardly keep up with the growth rate: stressed platform, lack of crucial functions, poor aesthetics/layout, messy support, and a lack of communications with its models. It's not that I don't understand the reason for the poor performance, I am not expecting much different from a company that has seen their userbase grow exponentially in such a short span, a little bit of chaos and disorder is to be expected when things blow up like this. What I find problematic more than anything is the fact that they have started to charge VAT to all of Europe and the UK overnight without giving creators a heads up which is going to have an impact on everyone's bottom line. I understand they are trying to be a law abiding company since they are based in Europe instead of the US, and I respect that, but we have to face what this means for our income on the one hand, and on the other I do find the fact that they will slap VAT even to tips a bit problematic.

My main issue when it comes to raw income is the fact that Onlyfans has effectively gone from having an 80% payout rate to having a 60% payout rate which is the same cut Myfreecams and Chaturbate take. Now, the difference to me is huge. While I am happy paying MFC and CB a 40% cut of my earnings, I am NOT happy paying this amount to Onlyfans. Here is why:

1) For their 40% cut Myfreecams and Chaturbate provide me with traffic, Onlyfans does not. CB and MFC have a prime quality userbase and I don't have to bring my fans over, I can simply turn on my cam and their users will spend on me. Onlyfans takes 40% but does not provide traffic, nobody can discover me through their platform, they don't even have a homepage with creators listed in it. All the traffic I have on my page I have brought myself.

2) From their 40% cut Myfreecams and Chaturbate pay 15% to payment processors (EPOCH, CCBill, Segpay, etc) for being high risk adult platforms. Onlyfans does NOT present itself as an adult platform, they keep pushing a squeaky clean image on social media, distancing themselves from adult performers, and I am certain this is the reason they avoid having a homepage... so they are paying a very tiny percentage for payment processors which, I think they even process themselves.

3) Users have a limited budget so creators will absorb the 20% hike whether we like it or not. Either we cut our prices by 20% to keep the same volume of transactions as we used to, or we keep the prices the same and see our volume decrease. Either way, that's 20% that will ultimately come from our revenue.

In summary... what Onlyfans offers us is simply a convenient spot to post stuff, hosting and the capacity for micropayments. They are FAR from the only option available if you bring your own traffic. I am asking what are you thinking of doing, if you will be switching platforms, what platforms you are considering, what are the pros and cons? I am evaluating what to do myself, I definitely would choose an american company since they don't have to deal with VAT to begin with and that's better, but I want to see what everyone thinks and what solutions you have come up with

laneydelaney

I think the VAT thing will be hitting all fan/subscription sites. It hit Clips4Sale earlier this year. Last week I made a verified account on JustForFans to check it out. Not long after, I got an admin message saying they were trying to sort out their VAT thing but that it would be a necessary change at some point. I’m a US model so it doesn’t really affect me all that much but thought I’d share what I know!

As far as OF alternatives, I’ve done some serious research this past week and signed up on multiple platforms and I wasn’t overly impressed with any of them. I hope something better comes along but until then I’ll be
sticking with OF because nothing else came close.

edit: I can do a breakdown of all the alternative sites I checked out or joined if anyone is interested!