Is even meaningful to talk about Members as a collective?

evapirs

I've been thinking about this subject considering comments made by a banned user who's name is a measurement, the thread about bruises and a thread I was in about eating. Sometimes we speak about members interests if they are a homogenise lump. However there thousands (if not more) members on a site at any point of time. Thousands of people each with differing tastes, interests and kinks. My experience has always been that one thing people are the most diverse about is their sexual interests.

Perhaps it is a better thing to consider "How many paying members are interested in X?" and "How many other models do I have to share/compete with for those members?".

anaismay

think it depends a lot on the topic.

Generalities work in some circumstances. “Members come and go” is a true statement and good to keep in mind, for example, even if there are always exceptions.

I get what you’re saying, I think. Even if you narrow “members” down with specifics (members that buy private shows, members that tip, members that enjoy a certain type of model or show), you’re still talking about a group of individuals with their own personalized tastes.

I think all true information is valuable, from the very general to the very specific. So I guess if lumping “members” together in a discussion makes the point more false than it is true, then the generality might not work.